National Take a Break Day – 7 Things you can do Instead of Gambling
September 29, 2016
September 29 is National Take a Break from Gambling Day. As a nonprofit that helps Floridians who are negatively impacted by problem gambling, we encourage people to think of alternative and healthy ways to spend their day instead of gambling.
We are gambling neutral organization and understand that for a majority of people, gambling is a leisure activity that millions enjoy responsibly. However, hundreds of thousands of Floridians are negatively impacted my problem gambling.
Today, we urge you to take a break! Here are 7 things you can do in in lieu of gambling.
- If you have a loved one (this extends to Mom, partner, Dad, etc), do a date night! You were planning to spend money anyway. Put it to good use and reconnect!
- Go exercise. Exercising is a natural way to improve your overall health and mood.
- Read a book. In our digital world, people often neglect picking up a paperback book. Research has shown that staying mentally engaged can slow the progress of Alzheimer’s and Dementia, since keeping your brain active and engaged prevents it from losing power.
- Learn a new hobby. Want to learn to play an instrument but never felt like you had the time? Today may be as good as any to start!
- See a movie. Movies are a fun and low cost option to consume your evening!
- Even better, dive into Netflix! But be careful, because some of these shows can be addicting! Be especially careful with shows like Black List, Making a Murderer, Narcos, House of Cards, and Stranger Things
- Learn to cook something new. Who doesn’t love a great steak! Grab your iPad, go on YouTube, and watch a short tutorial on how to make the perfect ribeye.
While gambling is fun for many, for some, it is destroys jobs, families, and lives. If you believe that gambling is a problem for you, we urge you, for one day…
TAKE A BREAK!