The Florida Council on Compulsive Gambling (FCCG) wants everyone to know that we are here for them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 888-ADMIT-IT! Problem gambling resources are always available for gamblers, loved ones, friends, family members, and others. We realize this has been a difficult time for many people. Being isolated or being in a “stay at home” situation has brought many hardships to a significant amount of Floridians and of course, people across the entire country.
We all need to do our part to ensure that everyone stays safe, so that when this situation is over, we can all get back to a normal life.
That being said, the FCCG has made a list of constructive and low-to-no-cost things that families or individuals can take advantage of during this time.
Constructive Hobbies to Explore During This Crisis
- Download apps like “Calm” – there are several apps available that can help you sleep or just relax. Did you know that the FCCG also has a new app for its HelpLine? Download the 888-ADMIT-IT app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to keep access to help and resources for problem gambling in hand.
- Challenge yourself with crossword puzzles – mentally stimulating, these keep you sharp and focused.
- Try trivia – sporcle.com is a trivia site that spans many subjects (History, Movies, Sports, Science, and more!) Take your mind off things for a while and learn.
- House projects – time to get that to-do list out! There are many projects you can do around your home in order to get a break from everything going on and be productive at the same time. Weeding, planting new flowers, and cleaning out your closets to put together donations for a local charity are just some ideas to start with.
- Learn to cook new foods – get creative with what you have in your pantry. Cooking is a great way to bring the family together. Take a deep dive into your supplies, bring out those cans of vegetables, and get the frozen chicken out of your freezer to whip up a feast. Cooking every day is a positive thing for the whole family. If you have children, get them involved in the process.
- Take online courses to learn new skills and take up new hobbies – many websites offer free lessons, free webinars and other helpful information for singing, dancing, sewing, and so forth. Take advantage of these and encourage others to do the same.
- Take walks around your neighborhood – even though we are in a “stay at home” protocol, you still go for a walk in your neighborhood. Just be sure to maintain distance when you encounter others. Fresh air, sun, and nature can do wonders to clear your mind.
- Stay in touch with family and friends – contact friends and family on a regular basis. This will help them and you through this difficult situation. Reach out to an old high school friend you have not spoken to in some time. Just let them know you have thinking about them. This will make you feel better and of course, make them feel better as well.
- Meditation to relax – find a space in your home to sit back, turn your phone off, and just shut your eyes and relax. You don’t have to dwell on any idea or thought…just relax. Take 20 minutes a day to do this, and you will feel more focused.
- Spend some time with a book – read or reread a novel that you haven’t touched in a while. Literature is a great and healthy way to escape from any situation you are going through.
- Listen to music – listening to your favorite tunes or exploring some new ones brings peace to one’s mind and body.
- Watch movies – much like music, movies are a great escape mechanism. With today’s streaming services or even your DVD collection, there are plenty of ways to immerse your mind in a story.
- Pay extra attention to your pets – make sure no matter how stressed you are, that your pets receive the love they deserve. They are there for you 100% of the time, and you should be there for them, too. This is a great time to make sure you are showing extra love to your pets. You already know they love you unconditionally!
The Florida Council on Compulsive Gambling wishes you all the best during this trying time and is always here for anyone experiencing gambling problems. We are available 24/7 at 1-888-ADMIT-IT, live chat at gamblinghelp.org, email at email@example.com and also text at 321-978-0555. We have resources that can assist you and want you to know that we are here for you anytime.